Tuesday, November 27, 2007

I know, I know

A win is a win. But first, I do not know who is responsible, the Steelers or Allegheny County, but they should be fined by the NFL and the crucified by the fans of Pittsburgh, the turf at Heinz field is an embarrassment. Not just last night, but since it opened. And now to have it showcased on national TV, how embarrassing for the “City of Champions”! Who was the rocket scientist who came up with the idea of laying more sod on top of bad sod just hours before an NFL game.

Now for the game. It was amazing that there were only 3 total turnovers the whole game. With the rain and field I would have thought there would have been 10 or better. As bad as the field was footing really did not appear to be a problem on either side of the ball. That said the game was a real yawn. Up and down the field between the twenties all night. The only thing that kept me awake was that it was Pittsburgh playing. The comment was made that if the goal line was the twenty, it would still be 0 – 0.

I think it is important to remember that the players do not call the plays. The coaches do! On every third and short or fourth and short, THE COACHES took out one of the top running backs in the NFL and either left the backfield empty or put in Davenport. Now I like Davenport but he is no Willie! He is perfect when we are running well and Willie needs a rest or as a blocking back. Third and short and no Willie, I just don’t get it!! And what about play action? It worked so well the first five games, with passes to tight ends or to the back coming out of the backfield. Now it’s gone, I just don’t get it! And Big Ben is getting sacked more and more with each game, five last night, I just don’t get it, I JUST DON”T GET IT!

Now another easy mark, the Bungles and on Sunday Night, a great chance to shine for the Steelers and for Heinz field, I don’t know what the spread is but I’m betting the Steelers won’t cover and neither will the field.

2 comments:

beth said...

Here is what I don't get, why did High Schools start playing at Heinz field anyway?

With the number of colleges and universities here, why not build a stadium they can all use, not just for football, but for track and field as well.

Interesting tidbit, at 4PM yesterday there were three pages of tickets for last night's game on sale on the Steeler website!

Well at least we have already won the eight games you said you would need to consider this season a success.

Ryan said...

yeah, i agree with your comments about najeh. he really looked bad on some big 3rd down plays. i'm hoping it was only due to the field conditions?